Your Child’s Best Interests Are Our Main Focus

Missouri City Visitation Lawyer

The guidance of legal counsel can be extremely valuable to any parent dealing with custody or visitation issues. Family courts have broad discretion when it comes to awarding primary custody or visitation rights to a parent. For that reason, you should never deal with these issues on your own. A seasoned family law attorney from Angela Faye Brown & Associates could help you protect your time with your child and fight for their needs. Our Missouri City visitation lawyers understand how difficult these situations can be and want to help loving parents keep their relationship with their children. When you hire us, we not only look out for you but for your child as well.

What Is A Visitation Schedule?

Parenting plans, either created by both parents or by the court, typically set out a specific schedule that determines when each parent will spend time with their children. Visitation could include anything from weekends at one parent’s house to a short evening visit for dinner or a long trip over summer vacation.

Parenting plans can and should be highly-detailed, especially in cases where the divorce was not amicable. These plans could spell out visitation rights for every day on the calendar, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.

It is vital to abide by the visitation schedules written into these parenting plans, as a violation of these court orders can result in serious consequences. Even if circumstances have changed, a parent must adhere to the schedule unless it has been legally modified. A skilled attorney in Houston could help a parent negotiate a fair visitation schedule that involves various scenarios and protects the well-being of the children.

Altering A Parenting Plan

Altering a visitation schedule could be possible with the help of a Missouri City attorney. There are a variety of reasons why a modification might be necessary, including changing work schedules, timing conflicts involving other children or a parent moving to another residence.

The simplest way to modify an existing visitation schedule is with the consent of the other parent. If the other parent is in agreement, changes to the visitation schedule will not require a hearing in front of a judge. In this case, many parents may choose to formalize the change by filing a petition for uncontested modification with the court. If both parents are not in agreement to change a visitation order, the parent seeking the modification must file a formal petition requesting to modify the order.

As is the case with all custody issues, the court reviews the modification through the lens of what is best for the child. The court could find that the child’s best interest requires a change to the visitation schedule. Likewise, the judge might also determine that any change would be too disruptive to the child’s life.

Can A Parent Refuse Visitation?

Some parents might be tempted to refuse visitation for a parent who is behind on child support or otherwise has not kept up their end of the parenting plan. This would be a mistake, however, as two wrongs do not make a right. In fact, a parent that violates the terms within a court-ordered parenting plan could face contempt charges no matter what the other parent has done. That does not mean a parent in this situation is out of options. There are enforcement options available to these parents that a visitation attorney in Missouri City could help with.

Reach Out To A Missouri City Visitation Attorney

As a parent, your rights are important. Whether you are a custodial parent seeking what is best for your child or a noncustodial parent ensuring you are not wrongfully refused visitation, an attorney could assist you during these disputes.

Talk to a Missouri City visitation lawyer from Angela Faye Brown & Associates to learn more about your rights and what we could do to fight for your child’s well-being. Reach out to schedule an initial consultation today. Call us in Houston at 281-975-0307 or in Austin at 512-572-1207.